Wednesday, April 14, 2010

6 in the Bag & More To Come

Morning World!









Another day down and more caching done as well. If you haven't guessed by now, I got nutz for geocaching. I never thought that I would but now I am just as bad as my dad (no offense to him cause I love him to death). I spend time thinking about my next caching trip at every moment I get. When get a free moment to get on the Interweb, one of the first sites I visit (besides checking me e-mail) is www.geocaching.com. I go on to see there are any new caches that have been posted close to where I live, update my stats, or run a pocket query of caches that I can go find in a day or so. I also have started (not new recently) calling out caches (found or not found) while driving in the car around town with my wife (drives her crazy). This is where I am becoming my father. That is a scary thought. Ugh! Even just driving around I scope out places that might be good geocache hiding spots because I am on the search to find a place to put out another geocache that I own for people to find. I own one already and you are more that welcome to check out the site but to see all the details you have to a membership to geocaching.com.

So yesterday (4/13/10) was another beautiful afternoon! I based my search in Lenexa, KS for the afternoon at Sar-Ko-Par Trails Park (site of the Great Lenexa BBQ Battle every June) for a multi-cache (means multiple stage). I spent the better part of a hour searching for all three stages leading up to the final stage. I made the first three stage finds fairly quickly and easily but the final stage was part of the reason it took me so long. The other reason that made that search long was the walking I had to do between stages. I got some walking exercise in the process. But in the end I could not locate the final stage container. I know I was at the correct location but no luck in locating it. So with a DNF (did not find) after all that work, I was pretty much pooped and ready to give up and go home at that point. But I looked at my watch and saw that I still had a better part of an hour and a half to get at least a few finds before I call it an afternoon (I got some good pics of the park and some local water fowl - check them out up top).

So I took a look at my iPhone geocaching app (yes there is an app for geocaching) and did a quick search of some easy traditional caches (single stage and the most abundant type) that happened to be close by. So I input the coordinates of the next 8 caches into my Garmin Nuvi (car GPS) to get me by road to each cache. Out of the 8 cache attempts I made 6 finds for the afternoon. The two that I didn't find, I didn't even attempt because of one thing that hampers any search.... Muggles. Yes, yes I know what you are thinking, "he's silly cause that is a Harry Potter term for a non-witch". Well that term is also used for non-geocachers and people that might mug or steal the geocache that I am trying to find or found. So those 2 caches that I didn't attempt got placed in the bookmark section of my geocaching account for a night-time caching trip that I will have to make when the muggles are not out and about.

So 6 finds out of a total of 9 attempts, I will take it. My new total to date is 527. I have to apologize in advance because I will have two conflicting stats on my blog page. The "Quick Stats" on the right hand side is the most accurate because it updates every time I log a find. The stats (more details and numbers) at the bottom of the page can only be run once every week. As soon as I can run a finds query then I will update the more detailed stats so you can see what I am up to and how quickly I am getting to my goals.

Ok that is all for now.

2 comments:

  1. Oohhh...how come I haven't seen that sculpture! That is pretty cool. Hmmmm....wonder if I can plan a run route by the park?? hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you would have to drive to that park and then run. No trails from the appartment to the park. Sorry Charlie.

    ReplyDelete